Sponge Engineering

Zap

Gold Miner
Does anyone have a solid understanding of how the proper placement of sponges should be made when trying to expand one's protected area? My current understanding is this. I'm developing residential plots starting with a center sponge block 1 i'm going out 10 more clicks in each direction North, South, West and East then I finish my square for what I wanted is a fully protected 21x21x21 area. Then I create another plot but keep getting "over lapping protected area"??? What is the proper way to utilize the sponges for expanding ones area?

Are sponges purchased at Auction any different then sponges one buys from the game? Snapcraft Store

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Zap

CoxBrothers

Emerald Miner
Are you placing your other sponge 10 blocks away from the border of the first sponge?

Also to answer your second question, no. Sponges purchased from ah (auction house) are no different from ones bought from the normal shop (same go's for any player shops).

OP
OP
Zap

Zap

Gold Miner
Thanks for helping out. Yeah good question. I'm counting 10 block from edge of first layout then putting another center sponge and going out 10 more to create the second square. I'm thinking maybe I have a sponge somewhere I'm not aware of that is conflicting the setup I think.

Zap

OP
OP
Zap

Zap

Gold Miner
That would be great I'm currently at work I'll let you know when I can get on. Thank you....

Sman1985

First Step
The sponge needs to be placed on the 21st block from the sponge. So count 20 in between and then place the sponge on number 21. It is 10 from the first sponge, then 10 from there and then place your sponge 1 after it. I always count the 20 from the sponge though. Sometimes it is hard to tell when the property ends and then trying to count from there.

OP
OP
Zap

Zap

Gold Miner
Sman1985 thanks for taking the time to explain that to me. That is how I "think" I'm doing it. I'm currently making 4 residential plots in my self made city of Zaporozye. I traveled to the edge of my existing boundaries until I saw "Leaving protected area". I traveled a bit more for extra measure. I placed a sponge down (my center point for the plot. I then counted 10 clicks out and put a marker. Repeated this all sides and finished my square, used my /fly attribute and it looks pretty cool LOL. So the first one seemed fine all was good. It's the joining ones I'm having issues. But the joining ones are near my self made city. So maybe I placed some inside the city that are conflicting. I did not manage this entire process very well. I get so excited to build I loose all measure of time and space. Is there a way to localize each sponge I already placed down? In most spots I just put them down where I can see them easily but then I hid a few of them for aesthetic reasons they kinda ruin the whole theme. This process has put me in a mess. I'm spending all this time building my self made city and peeps have found me and locate the "soft" area and destroy everything. I spend most of my time repairing instead of building new. I was going to quit but I like this too much. I have stressful work and the building relaxes me but the destroying is really taking its toll. I'll look all over again and get back to you. Thanks again and have a great day.

Zap

OP
OP
Zap

Zap

Gold Miner
Coxbrothers I did not forget you buddy I had issues at work and got home very late then went to gym. I'll reach out and maybe we can figure this out. I realized something recently. This player came in my area and started attacking me while I was building, I didn't even see him coming but the mobs started to attack him and he could not kill them and ran like a school girl racing home to make chocolate chip cookies. Some crazy looking midget with pumpkin head (scary looking bugger) starting chasing him out of town. Classic it was a good night ))))

CoxBrothers

Emerald Miner
Coxbrothers I did not forget you buddy I had issues at work and got home very late then went to gym. I'll reach out and maybe we can figure this out. I realized something recently. This player came in my area and started attacking me while I was building, I didn't even see him coming but the mobs started to attack him and he could not kill them and ran like a school girl racing home to make chocolate chip cookies. Some crazy looking midget with pumpkin head (scary looking bugger) starting chasing him out of town. Classic it was a good night ))))
Alright, if you still need help, I should be able to get on anytime between 11am and 6pm today (PST).

Sman1985

First Step
The best way to make sure you know where all your sponges are is to enter the area and do /protect unhide. It will unhide the hidden sponge and allow you to know where it is with certainty. You can always pick up a sponge and move it if you need to. For example take the sponge from the house area and place it on the 21 block away from the last sponge in the city. Then repeat and it should go somewhere close to your house. You would need the extra sponge but it should work fine. I did a lot of planning when building mine and I have about 20-30 sponges now that all touch each other so everything is protected. I also know where my next few sponges are going once I get them.

OP
OP
Zap

Zap

Gold Miner
Excellent advice thank you for taking the time to go over that with me. I'll try that out and see what happens.