Proper Way to Report a Hacker

jasonstover9

Zombie Killer
Lately on the forums and in the chat I have been seeing a lot of people who (usually) want to support our community here. We are all honor bound as members to support our community we enjoy and play games in. But its being done wrong and it could have big consequences.

Everyone who ever broke a rule eventually will make a mistake and showed what they did or are doing.

When you see this right in front of you or you are the victim of a hacker or cheater it can feel like a slap in the face. You feel like you just caught something incredible and your first instinct is to go tell someone. But there is a proper way to go about it.

1. Get video proof. In many cases a screen shot will not prove anything. You need video proof. There are a lot of low level 3rd party software that will record your game play for free. I use OBS. Its simple to set up and doesn't slow me down. But also be very aware that follow along mods or body cam mods in Minecraft are not allowed in snapcraft.

2. Make sure its a real hack. A lot of hacks can be deceptive but might be legit things. Some players are just that good they can switch tools fast. It doesn't mean they are hacking. But if you are struck while a player is turned away from you, if they seem to put armor on or off with in human speed, if they climb walls, knock down whole tress, or seem to look at the ground and suddenly mine wildly down into the ground. Its time to record what is going on. Mods are actually trained in spotting hackers and are quizzed on it.

3. Don't mention it in the chat, the forum or in any way that is public. You can do /msg and the staff persons name on post in that server to give them a heads up but take your video proof to them. In a support ticket.

4. Hosting the video online is free and easy. I have aimed my cell phone at the computer and shot a video. I can share my videos right from my free google drive account. No danger that the recipient can do damage to my account or see my files. You can also host on Youtube or any one of a hundred other places.

5. A player saying they hack is not a punishable offense. I can say to you I hack all day. You need rather definitive proof that I do. That's why video proof seems best.

6. Above all don't panic. If someone is just casually crashing around on the server with hacks it wont be long until they are banned.

Doing this, we can all make Snapcraft a pleasant place for years to come.

Special Note
I hope no one person feels singled out by this post. It is meany purely for information and knowledge.

Special Note: Reporting a hacker is one thing. But making reports about something in chat is another matter.

1. Always remember, one line of chat. Unless it is outrageous. Is not report able. You have to show that someone is continuing a behavoir over and over and over.

2. Report with the F2 Key (on PC) and share the screen shot to a free service.

2. Use the /realname command (correct me if that is not the right command. To reveal the players real name. Reporting a psudo name is not usally good enough. Since staff would have to go and find this person.

3. Above all keep in mind this is a video game. Kids and adults play on here together. Sometimes people have different degrees of tolerance to certain things. Snapcraft is not a dating service, a place to be vulgar, a place to flame, or a place to bully. Report what is reportable and ignore what is not.

Last edited:

Legitmon

Emerald Miner
Psst @jasonstover9 you should also add in how to report chat based offenses. :wink.: :wink.:
:)

Looks good!