Tips for building underground base defenses

Deadlypotato02

First Step
Hi, I'm a relatively new player on this server, I joined 2 days before this post and I am part of a small faction. I am currently building the outer walls of my base out of obsidian. I know that sponge is a better material, but are there cheaper alternatives or building strategies that could help? Any helpful posts will be appreciated!

HigherTier

Stone Miner
This is my first time in Factions too so I'm not really an experienced player but water prevents TNT blasts from destroying/damaging blocks so if you cover the obsidian walls and roof with water it should help against normal TNT cannons although not against sand cannons. To counter this, try placing slabs in a checkerboard pattern on the roof and floor around the base then placing water on top of the slabs. The slabs will break the sand and water will prevent the TNT from damaging the blocks.

TheNextHerobrine

Zombie Killer
Hi, I'm a relatively new player on this server, I joined 2 days before this post and I am part of a small faction. I am currently building the outer walls of my base out of obsidian. I know that sponge is a better material, but are there cheaper alternatives or building strategies that could help? Any helpful posts will be appreciated!
Like said by @HigherTier, place slabs around to prevent many cannons that may come around. Their are many options that will work, though you can't really afford to do any of them as a beginning player. I would do as said above, but I would also layer the base a few times over. Oh! One other thing. Try making a if all else fails wall. Basically just stack sand on top of the main walls, where players are not able to see the sand. If they break the top section of the base(It is very likely since it is a smaller base), sand will come falling down as a secondary wall. It is not that expensive, and it is good for holding factions back for a longer amount of time. This will give more of a chance for online faction members to remove all important goods from the base if the time comes. That's all I can think of as of now. :)

EpicAgentJ

Void Walker
Sponges cannot be used to protect your base, that is only in survival. Though, if you own a faction, you can do /f claim to stop those who try to mine into your land.
This is what I do: Place an obsidian layer, then lava (to those who try to ender pearl in), and ANOTHER obsidian layer in. I know it sounds like a lot of work, but keep voting and you'll get plenty o' money in your hands soon.

Themisto

Iron Miner
What I normally tend to do is 1-2 layers of obsidian on the roof, walls and floor. Then for the second or third layer, I put whatever decor I'd like.

Gerard_Games26

Stone Miner
Just put a checkerboard pattern of slabs on the roof and place slabs around the bottom of your base to stop sand cannons. Then cover it in water. To raid that the enemy would have to destroy slabs with tnt, then fire a bunch of sand, before tnting again. To prevent this you can make multiple layers of walls all with slabs at the bottom and all water covered, meaning it would take them ages to cannon through all of it. By the way I recommend you build at bedrock level.

EpicAgentJ

Void Walker
As stated above, put obsidian, then lava, then another layer of obsidian. If you decide to build your base underground, make a sky base and claim the surface. So they don't go digging right next to the base.