Just Another Introduction

Wrys

Gold Miner
Hi Snapcrafters,
I’ve never made a proper intro, seeing it wasn’t necessary and I’d just seclude myself from staff and the server, but now that I am staff I have a more open view.

I’ve made a lot of technical posts on Snapcraft’s forums and have tried to stray from the introduction and goodbye section because I naturally dislike having to post simple things that don’t seem genuine. Yes, others may be true to their word when they say, “Welcome to the server!” I see it as just an automated response to any new player. What would be an appropriate response from me is, “The server’s communities are welcoming to new players. I highly suggest Skyblocks because of the mixed game style it is, bringing in the creativity of Creative, the competitiveness of factions, and the natural survival aspect of Survival."

Now, who I am.

My mother is at the counter, washing the dishes of the dinner we just had. I stood up, running through the scenario of how I will express this idea that's been bugging me.
I approach the sink and with a steady, calm voice I ask, "I don't need to get A's in school, Mom, I don't want to go to Yale, or Harvard, or whatever, or be a doctor, I just don't want to do everything you tell me to do anymore."
My Mom, she never understood this pointless conversion i kept bringing up. To her I was just a gaming addict who loved his Minecraft and played it 20 hours a week. Games are a distraction, games are a waste of time, why not study and get a good job?
I hear it every single time, and this time it's no different.
I am sent to my bedroom.
Thinking about my life choices.
But not thinking what she wants me to think, no. This time I am sticking to my word, school is just education for the majority, and bulimia of useless knowledge. Maybe I'm onto something.

There was a notebook that I kept for writing all my ideas in, all my Lego gun designs, my drawing ideas, my bucket list and now my rebellious thoughts. I didn't dare to present these to my mom. Every single hobby that I loved doing she destroyed it. She would put me on schedules to read books when I didn't want to, and man I loved reading non-fiction books. Specifically evolution. Even watching a documentary every single day for a whole month. I completely blame her for my change in interest. Then with my origami? I was just starting to create origami at age 10 and she realized my "talent", forcing me to enter into an origami contest at my school when I didn't want to. Today she is still like that, but in excuse she says that I have to learn things I don't want to learn, or else I will fail.
I am not my mom, I think for myself and not for my mom. To all the victims of parental stress, specifically educational, this is my short story.

Thank you for reading,
Wrys

Ex_Admin

Obsidian Miner
quality stuff good sir! u lame nerd :)

Guarde

Admin
Staff member
Admin
I think you would make a good author.
idIlike to read more of your stories. as I rralre enjoy them.

and oh I know this stress just too well

TheCrazyCorn

Gold Miner
That is life my dude, that is life. Not everyone wants a good job, much money or a big house. Some people want to have fun, and live happily! Some people want to enjoy what they do!
Anyways, I wish you good luck! And I hope your mother will understand your way of thinking too!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wrys

Wrys

Gold Miner
My thanks to everyone who took their time to read a bit of my life. Your warm comments assure my future story telling capability.
Yeah fancy words are just my things.

Masonhgg

Tree Puncher
My thanks to everyone who took their time to read a bit of my life. Your warm comments assure my future story telling capability.
Yeah fancy words are just my things.
Yeah for sure man! I respect you and you're life :)

DayDae

Gold Miner
Hey there, great introduction, I like your writing style!! Now, I understand, completely, %100 where you are coming from. This may sound cliché, but I'm sure your mother only wants best for you, you may not see it now, but this is what all(the majority) of parents are like. Your parents want you to succeed, so you can lead a good life, maybe even a better life than they were provided. So please, don't be so hard on your mom, things are probably hard enough on her as it is. Cooking, cleaning, bread winning for a family. It can all be stressful, and she is reminded every waking moment of every day how the real world works. This new age technology, and age of gaming most definitely scares our parents. They do see it as unproductive, and at times, it can be unproductive. They often lack the open mind to realize that this is a whole new, exciting industry. Keep your open mind friend, and don't let them think for you. You are on the right track there, just don't place the blame on your mother. The world is going to be how the world is going to be and the only thing you can do to change it is to be YOU! Just be your self, time will pass, and once upon a time, even receiving a grade will be ever so distant, that it won't even matter.

OP
OP
Wrys

Wrys

Gold Miner
Hey there, great introduction, I like your writing style!! Now, I understand, completely, %100 where you are coming from. This may sound cliché, but I'm sure your mother only wants best for you, you may not see it now, but this is what all(the majority) of parents are like. Your parents want you to succeed, so you can lead a good life, maybe even a better life than they were provided. So please, don't be so hard on your mom, things are probably hard enough on her as it is. Cooking, cleaning, bread winning for a family. It can all be stressful, and she is reminded every waking moment of every day how the real world works. This new age technology, and age of gaming most definitely scares our parents. They do see it as unproductive, and at times, it can be unproductive. They often lack the open mind to realize that this is a whole new, exciting industry. Keep your open mind friend, and don't let them think for you. You are on the right track there, just don't place the blame on your mother. The world is going to be how the world is going to be and the only thing you can do to change it is to be YOU! Just be your self, time will pass, and once upon a time, even receiving a grade will be ever so distant, that it won't even matter.
Thanks for taking the time to read and respond thoughtfully! Great advice, and I don't blame my Mother as much as I blame the environment she grew up in. Today it's an even more hostile society for to-be college students. There's much more pressure and the bar is raised significantly. With over 60% of all kids going to college when it used to be only 7% how could there not serious competition? Thanks for responding, again!

NotDyl

Zombie Killer