1. Welcome to Snapcraft, Please register on our website to join the community!
    Click here to register an account!

Player ban reports and appeals visible to normal players.

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by HeadMod, Jan 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HeadMod

HeadMod First Step

Just as the title says. I believe that player reports and appeals should be visible for the entire community. I'm not sure of the extensive knowledge the staff team has on bans such as hacking, so I believe normal players should have permissions to see/comment on them, to give their own opinions.

2. DevSteven

DevSteven Stone Miner

SlamacowSteven
    Interesting idea, there would be errors with this, just like everything, but its a new idea for sure...
    I don't really agree tho

#2 DevSteven, Jan 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  3. Verzonx

Verzonx Helper

Verzonx
    I disagree.

4. Majestical

Majestical Helper

wowoow
    Skyblock Angel
    I don't think those things should be visable to the whole community as some people may want that to be private.

5. Ashie

Ashie Helper

Rainwash
    I like how it is now, only staff should have access to them.

6. iDell

iDell First Step

I agree, staff dealing with appeals privately prevents witch hunting and is just better in general.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Tealor

Tealor Answer to Life

Tealor
    Helper
    although I can see why you'd want to do this, in cases where a hack is obvious, it may be more embarrassing for a player to have their videos shown to everyone. Staff are knowledgeable in hacks and only ban if they're sure, so the communities comments on it wouldn't really be valid, they'd most likely just cause confusion and false hope.

8. Awais

Awais Helper

Awais
    It would cause uneeded drama and more opinions and just cause more complications.

Although the reason is a good one their are a lot more reasons not to do it rather then doing it!

9. CasuallyAnnoying

CasuallyAnnoying
    Survival King
    I don't think appeals and reports should be accessed by anyone but the staff members. Especially not reports, the reason being that it could be embarrassing to have a video of you hacking get seen by everyone in the community. Second problem is that people could end up talking crap to players whom they have been reported by. It should stay the way it is, privacy is important.

10. HeadMod

HeadMod First Step

I mean, I can see that, but, like, they hacked. Does it really matter? Embarrassing or not. I believe people should be able to see it. Just my opinion.

11. CasuallyAnnoying

CasuallyAnnoying
    Survival King
    I get your drift, but players don't get permanently banned for hacking, well, not the first time. If they end up logging back on after the ban has expired, they could end being harassed by other players because of what they did. The server is supposed to be a nice place for everyone.

12. BeeBu

BeeBu Stone Miner

BeeBu
    Alright, first of all I would like to state that both ways work. I have seen servers where the appeals are public and they work very well! Trusted members of the community give feedback or even add in evidence that wasn't known of beforehand! HOWEVER, this current system also works very well. Having been a staff member a year ago, the system is still very familiar to me. Being able to have a ticket submitted where staff members are notified of its posting, as well as having certain ranks doing certain tickets, is very effective. It's easy for a staff member to be able to reply in a private section, giving a quick, and easy denial/approval.

You can rest assured that if someone is accepted as staff on this server, their knowledge will be extensive. Just because someone is new to staff doesn't mean their choices can't be trusted. They were accepted because of the trust they have with the community. As well as having to play for a decent while in order to even apply reliably. So... Staff members are knowledgeable.

Normal players? Meaning people who just made a forums account? You mean friends of the possible person appealing? You mean bias players? You see... This situation is very easy to explain... Normal players, who AREN'T always trusted, who could be friends with the appealer, ( dunno if "appealer" is a word lol ) could leave distorted, or non factual information. This could possibly mislead staff and their final opinion.

Do I need to say anymore about this? "Opinions."

EDIT: Overall. My answer is a big ol' -1.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. thunder0808

thunder0808 Helper

thunder0808
    Prison Boss
    I disagree I like it they way it is. Even when I wasn’t staff I can’t say I wanted to see this information

14. Thiago

Thiago First Step

I should be studying rn .......

15. Twiggy

Twiggy Admin

Twiggyyy
    Admin
    Completely disagree. Players feel more safe sending their proof in where only staff can see it and are able to protect themselves from being labeled a “rat”.

For Appeals, just no there’s no reason for anyone besides the necessary staff to see them.

16. psychowaffles

psychowaffles Helper

psychowaffles
    For every ban Snapcraft faculty make, we have proof for the reasoning. There for the reasoning behind this recommendation is already handled, snapcraft protocol has yet to fail. -
    If a player believes he/she has been falsely banned or wrongfully accused appeal here ( https://snapcraft.net/support-tickets/open )

17. KotDE

KotDE Tree Puncher

KotDE
    Since this thread is already quite extensive and controversial, let me add a bit of my own 'wisdom'.

First of all, as a former Moderator and Helper on a Minecraft server (DecisiveCraft, dead a long time ago), I know a lot about hackers, cheaters, and other unlawful elements of MC community. They are, most of the time, absolutely unrepentant about their actions, deny everything even if caught red-handed, and do not care in the slightest about community or their opinion. Airing the hackers' dirty laundry in this case does nothing but show ineptitude of the staff (I am not implying anything with this sentence, nor am I slandering the Snapcraft staff, they do an amazing job as it is), their inability to decide and properly punish the offender.

In the case when someone is genuinely guilty of their actions, publicizing their deeds will be absolutely opposite to what staff wants to do: maintain a healthy, stable environment within the server and its extensive community. The player will be ridiculed, will be bullied, and that will just drive the player away from the server, even if the player was willing to play fairly and be good.

On the topic of 'community sometimes adds information that was previously unknown to the staff', I will repeat what @BeeBu said earlier: regular players cannot be trusted with what amounts to staff work. The process of applying for staff positions was created just for that - to find in the mass of players those who are fair, responsible and trustworthy. Just like real-world judges.

All in all, I give the suggestion a big, solid -1 and ask the admins to close the thread. Thank you.

18. Verzonx

Verzonx Helper

Verzonx
    I agree with everything the staff are saying. If I were to report someone for lets say combat hacking. Now one of my teammates are teamed with that one person. Now I just reported that person for hacking mind you, and now I make the ticket . My teammates can go to the forums and see my report. Now I loose my team and am labeled a rat. Another thing that could happen is that I could be wrong. So now everyone saw it and can see that I reported a person who did nothing wrong over my belief. Now lets say I try to get more info about this person because I still think their hacking, and I get the ticket denied again. Now everyone will think that Im just a boy who cries wolf. So yea I agree with the staff team. :XD:

19. psychowaffles

psychowaffles Helper

psychowaffles
    The jury has spoken, thread closed:apple:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.