Minecraft News Of April (so Far)

LegalSense

Void Walker
Hello community of snapcraft. This is a thread regarding all the important updates that have occurred so far in April. I hope you read all of this, and hopefully you'll be able to understand all the updates. If future updates are installed, I will add it onto this thread.

Update Regarding Heart Bleed (Apr. 8, 2014)
The 1.8 update regarding name change may be a little bit longer than expected. As many as you know, on April 8, 2014 word broke out of a mysterious bug named 'Heart Bleed'. This bug was within the popular cryptographic software, OpenSSL, which allowed an attacker or 'hacker' to read the memory of a host system. About Two-Thirds (2/3) of the internet rely on OpenSSL to keep data secret and private. (Including Minecraft & Bukkit.) Which means that sensitive data is now potentially open to data leakage. And because of that, Mojang was forced to shutdown all minecraft servers so that they weren't affected. It is recommended that you should have changed all of your passwords, and if you have the same passwords as you do on minecraft as you do elsewhere (Which you should not) it is advised you change it ASAP. Here are a list of potential websites that you may need to change your passwords on: Click Here.

How and Why the 'Heart Bleed' bug got it's name-
"Heatbleed" was discovered separately and simultaneously on April 8, 2014 by Google security researchers and engineers at Codenomicon. In an interview with Vocativ, Codenomicon Chief Executive David Chartier said one of his Finnish engineers coined the name.
There's an extension on OpenSSL called Heartbeat; Codenomicon thought it was fitting to call it Heartbleed because it was bleeding out the important information from the memory.

Click on me for Link to Source for Heart Bleed bug

Update Regarding 1.7.6. 1.7.7 and 1.7.9 News (April 9, 2014)
The update of 1.7.9 was, as many of you know, released on April 9, 2014. The update was regarding important bug fixes and skin related fixes. The update also regarded making a few updates to make Minecraft Realms even better than as it is, and to prepare for minecraft 1.8 name change, which allows you to change your name. Many developers noted that 1.7.6 was to drop compatibility with 1.7.5 servers and earlier versions. All these updates were officially released in 1 week. Servers should have already automatically updated to the new 1.7.6 players profile format. Now to the 1.8 update news. In terms, the Minecraft 1.7.7 will alleviate the stability issues introduced by Mojang's latest Minecraft update. In basic terms, the 1.7.7 update was just an update to fix some game crashes that may have occured in 1.7.6. The 1.7.9 update made sure that it has fixed those crashes and fixed the skin data-base.

Update Regarding 1.8 Name Change
As many of you know, Mojang is planning to release name change in 1.8 which allows a player to change their minecraft username. Mojang plan to switch from a name based accounts system to a universally unique identifier (UUID) based accounts system. Which would help players change their MC usernames. With much of Minecraft currently relying on a name based accounts system (bans, whitelist, ops to name a few) along with plugins using names to keep track of players (permissions, ownership, protections), this change has a high potential to break both plugins and servers if server admins and developers are not prepared for it. At the time of writing, Mojang have said they're planning to enable name changing around the time Minecraft 1.8 is released and with Minecraft 1.8 slated to release in May, the window for preparations is quickly closing. But it may not happen as soon as we thought due to the 'Heart Bleed' bug.

Rest assured, here is how minecraft will proceed with name change using a UUID based account system.

What is a UUID?-

UUID is short for Universally Unique IDentifier. It is a long series of hexadecimals numbers commonly used to identify something. With minecraft, mojang is planning to use UUID's to identify player accounts. Let me show you an example of a UUID tied to a player names. If a player's name is 'Notch', Notch will have a UUID of: "069a79f4-44e9-4726-a5be-fca90e38aaf5". This is how they will proceed to identify a players account name.

If I ban a player named 'Bas' and he changes his name to 'iMartenn', will he stay banned?-

Yes indeed S/he will. It is the same for whitelisted and OP players. They will also keep all of their items, inventories, etc on the server. (I just used 'Bas' and 'iMartenn' as two separate examples. These names are not meant to be indirectly affiliated with the owners of Snapcraft.)

Can I steal somebody’s name?-

No you will not be able to. You will not be able to have the same name as another player, unless they change their name, then you'll be able to take it.

Will it be compatible with other versions?-

As far as right know, name change will not be compatible with any versions of 1.7.5 or past 1.7.5. For example, if your original IGN is 'Rocker' and you decide to change your MC name to 'Baby'. Your new name 'Baby' will only be compatible with 1.7.6 or higher. Meaning, if you are in 1.7.5 or past 1.7.5, your IGN will be your original IGN and not your new name.

Can I already change my name? Will it cost money? How often can I do it?

Name change will be enabled in 1.8 or higher. It will only be compatible with 1.7.6 or higher versions. Mojang doesn't have a lot of details whether it will cost money or not, but one of mojangs worker named 'Kristoffer JelBring' tweeted "No, we will not charge you money for changing your name." But it is still unknown if they will charge you or not. Mojang does not know the certain restrictions they may enable before performing name change, but they want it to be easy and freely available, but they don't want users changing their name multiple times every 1 minute.

Well that is all the news so far in April guys. I will make sure to check for any new updates and post it on the thread here. If you feel I made an error or have inaccurate information, please comment below so I may be able to fix it. Until then!

-Trial

Sources:

https://mojang.com/2014/04/minecraft-1-7-6-pre-release/
https://help.mojang.com/customer/portal/articles/928638-minecraft-usernames
http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/psa-the-switch-to-uuids-potential-plugin-server-breakage.250915/
http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/ps...s-to-be-safe-heartbleed-security-hole.255505/

Last edited:
OP
OP
LegalSense

LegalSense

Void Walker
Well, it seems the edit button has disappeared. I will have to post the news/updates as a comments then. I also forgot to mention info about the UUID. The UUID is, as I said, a mix of hexadecimals of numbers. It is normally 16 characters long, but it may be 32 in this case.

123IsIt

Obsidian Miner
Hey, I gotta question. We will keep are ranks. So iBasss or someone's gonna have to make some name identification because people won't know who you are.

OP
OP
LegalSense

LegalSense

Void Walker
Hey, I gotta question. We will keep are ranks. So iBasss or someone's gonna have to make some name identification because people won't know who you are.
That is true, but I'm not entirely sure. I guess we'll have to wait and see in the future. I'll try to research and get back to you as soon as possible,

noahsponge

Diamond Miner
I was gonna change my name to: Killer_santa or Kermit_The_frog orrrrr The_walkingdeadsponge BUT i like Noahsponge :)