More Minecraft News For April

Victorthelama

Ghast Hunter
Hello fellow Snapcraftians! Some major updates have been regarding Minecraft, but who has time to read them in-depth? That's why I'm here! In this thread, I will quickly summarize April events regarding Minecraft.
(This is more news extended from Trial's thread. If you want more news, then check out her thread here.

Snapshot 14w17a
(Article published on Mojang.com as of April 24, 2014 by Dinnerbone)
(Taken from Mojang.com)​
It’s been a while since the last snapshot, hope you didn’t miss us too much. We’ve been working a whole bunch on lots of internal rewriting (for plugin API, to make things easier for ourselves and to make things run so much more smoothly) but a lot of that isn’t in this version as it’s fairly unstable.

Notable changes:

• New highly customisable terrain generation! (Create new world -> “World Type: Customized”)
  • New customisable world borders! Check out the /worldborder command.
  • Lots of bug fixes, performance gains and code cleaninguperizing.
  • ???

To get snapshots, open your launcher and press the “New Profile” button. Call it “snapshots” and check the box saying “Enable experimental development snapshots” and save. To switch to the normal version, you can select it in the dropdown at the bottom left corner of the launcher. Back up your world first or run the game on in a different folder (See the “new profile” dialog).
Minecraft Realms Is Finally Here!

(Article published on Mojang.com as of April 24, 2014 by Owen)
After a months of waiting, Minecraft Realms has finally been released in North America! For those of you who don't know what Realms is, Realms is basically a server hosting program provided by Mojang themselves. Although, Realms isn't meant to be used to host large servers like Snapcraft, but to host small Multiplayer servers for you and your friends. The servers are always available, meaning that even if the host doesn't have their computer on, the server remains up and running. Realms is currently only for the PC version of Minecraft, but Mojang is planning to release it on other formats in the future. If you're interested, check it out here.

FAQ's Regarding 1.8 And Name Changes

(Article published on Mojang.com as of April 3, 2014 by Dinnerbone)
As some of you know, Mojang is planning to release the ability to change your Minecraft name once they feel that enough players are playing 1.8, which should be released soon. Mojang answered some FAQ's that players had, and hopefully some of them answer your questions too.

(Taken directly off of mojang.com)

If I ban a player “Foo” and he changes name to “Bar”, will he stay banned?
Yes. Same for whitelisted players and oped players. They also keep their inventory, pets, statistics and everything they own on a server.

Can I steal somebody’s name? Can I call myself “Dinnerbone” too?
No. I am Dinnerbone and names are still unique. You cannot have the same name as another player, they will have to change their name for you to be able to take it.

How will this work with mods? What about my custom stuff on this one modded server?
Ask your mod maker/server owner. They should be able to support this system easily, but we aren’t responsible for mods or servers!

Can I already change my name? Where do I go? Will it cost? How often can I do it?
We will enable name changing when we feel that enough users are using 1.8 or higher, so that servers have time to switch to the new player formats. We do not have any details on how name changes will be performed or any restrictions that will be required to actually perform a name change. We want it to be easy and freely available, but we also don’t want people changing their name every 5 minutes!

So where do I change my name?
Read the previous answer!

I’m a server owner, what do I have to do when I update to 1.7.6?
Nothing, really. The server will update itself, but it’s entirely possible that it may require your input if it finds an issue (nonexistant players, for example). If your server fails to start then check the log, otherwise it’s ready to play!

Is this compatible with 1.7.5?
No, sorry. We had to change the protocol to support the new player formats.

I’m scared. I need a hug.
Aww, here you go little guy. *hug* Don’t worry, it’s not as scary as it sounds.

Well there you have it! I hope you guys are more informed about what has been going on with Minecraft and Mojang!

Sources:
https://mojang.com/

awade

Diamond Miner
So this means i can change my name to slow and still have all my ranks on other servers?

LegalSense

Void Walker
So this means i can change my name to slow and still have all my ranks on other servers?
Yes awade, you will keep your rank on the server whether you change it or not. It will no longer track your bans, kicks, ranks, etc. by your name anymore, it will be track you by a UUID.

Bob2108

Blaze Estinguisher
Im keeping my name :3 but I'm changing my alts name, so watch out, you won't know when I'm watching. ;-)

awade

Diamond Miner
i was thinking of like, ImSoSk3tchy,Vicky_Kern,VictortheCow,haydenMSlaw,360Y_Y_TrickShotBankOffTheWallHeadshot,or slow,noahtheSpange,YUMPY,AndreasWomanU,iAaArOnN since aaron is my first name. one of the above i might do.

Last edited:

iamontda

Void Walker
I'm planing on geting an alt and using that account when i'm stalking :-P
I might even do that o-o

Anyways, I'm not changing, it took a harsh battle to decide that. What I'M excited for is new piston physics, and setting up your new map is going to be so much more fun. You can apparently decide what layers things spawn on, how often, how large the veins of ore are, etc., and I think there are going to be a few more block types that turn to brick too. c: