Votes: 1 16.7%
  • -

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • --

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

OpticUniversse

Zombie Killer
Hey all, I wanted to come back real fast to get some feedback on a little project I'm working on. I've been wanting to do this for a really long time, and since I have a little bit more time now, I'm going to start working on it. Hope you guys enjoy, and if you have any suggestions and feedback, PLEASE LEAVE THEM BELOW! I need as much support and ideas as possible, even if it's negative. Thanks.

Title: Mountains Among the Fog
Recommended Age Range: 13-17

Basic Idea: A group of 7 from the US Airforce have been shot down by an enemy fighter jet near an uncharted island in the Bermuda Triangle. After the helicopter crashes, the survivors of the wreckage must find food, water, and a place to live until they are rescued. Little do they know, the island is closely guarded by a very vicious cult of shipwrecked men and woman, and they are willing to do anything to please their gods by taking the crew out. Cursed by 24/7 storms and rain, they must find a way to extinguish the curse, the cult, and make it out alive. (note that this sounds very similar to Rise of the Tomb Raider, some ideas are taken from the game.)

Preview:

“Dawn, get up here!” I shouted over the sound of rocks crashing in the mountain river. Josh darted over a large statue and jumped for the ledge. As Josh jumped, a large boulder came hurdling toward us, landing right on Josh’s leg.
“Josh, Stay put, do not even think about moving!” I said, jumping over the debris of the temple to get to the rock. I tried to budge it with my axe, but every time I hit it, it got closer to rolling over his head. Dawn had leaped off the fiery ledge and started chipping at the rock using her climbing hook, which proved to be unsuccessful. Amanda had made it back with the guns and looked at Josh’s body with a sigh, and got out her hammer.

The mountains shook again, sending concrete shingles onto our necks. I heard a faint yell and looked down to see Dawn falling off of the mountain. Hooking my grapple hook to the small tree, I jumped down after her, trying to gain momentum as I descended. The further she got to the ground the more aggrieved her face was, until there was a loud splash. Dawn was dead.

Climbing back up the jagged cliffs, I tried to think of ways we could make it off this island. The planes hit the top of the tall trees, boats were shipwrecked immediately upon hitting the coral seabeds, and it would be impossible for cars to get across the ocean. I was beginning to ponder if I would ever see my wife again, my two kids, or my big girl, Spock. Would I ever make it off this island, and if so, would I be alive?

I don't know if it's worth continuing, so let me know what you guys would think of it. Thanks.

Vicky

Obsidian Miner
It's pretty good, I think. But I suggest maybe a little more thoughts from the character since it's first person...? Depending on where the preview is from in the story (I'm guessing the beginning), I also suggest to set the scene more clear in timing and location.

OP
OP
OpticUniversse

OpticUniversse

Zombie Killer
It's pretty good, I think. But I suggest maybe a little more thoughts from the character since it's first person...? Depending on where the preview is from in the story (I'm guessing the beginning), I also suggest to set the scene more clear in timing and location.
Thank you for the feedback @Vicky!
I'm going to add in much more dialogue and narrator thoughts when I start working on it for reals.
I agree with you on the location, right now from the text I just showed you, there could be hundreds of different places it could take place. I will add in much more about the location, like mentioned above, when I start working on it.
The preview is around (assuming there would be 20 chapters) chapter 10-11. The first two chapters are basically the introduction and the helicopter crashing.
Once again, thanks. :,)

Vicky

Obsidian Miner
Thank you for the feedback @Vicky!
I'm going to add in much more dialogue and narrator thoughts when I start working on it for reals.
I agree with you on the location, right now from the text I just showed you, there could be hundreds of different places it could take place. I will add in much more about the location, like mentioned above, when I start working on it.
The preview is around (assuming there would be 20 chapters) chapter 10-11. The first two chapters are basically the introduction and the helicopter crashing.
Once again, thanks. :,)
Always here to help :) No worries <3

RefinedBird

Zombie Killer
I want to be an author too ;u;

Too the feedback;
Great word use, very good! But this 'Dawn' dying, should get a little more attention than it got. I mean, right now, it's more "Oh hey, a friend died, well that's no big deal, I still have more.", than "i cri evri tim". Maybe she has flashbacks off her past life, off her family and maybe even her crush. You need more emotion!
Also, as @Vicky said, we have to know more about location! I have no clue if this is in a temple, or in a snowy forest, overgrown with vines and abandoned.

Otherwise, I'd really like to see what this'll turn into. I'd definitely read it!