[important] Minecraft Eula Changes Pose Threats To Servers.

Do you agree with Mojang's EULA changes?

• No

Votes: 37 67.3%
  • Yes

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • I'm in between both.

Votes: 10 18.2%

• Total voters

hayden51

Emerald Miner
Hey guys,
Some of you may or may not have heard the news about the EULA (End User Licence Agreement) changes taking place. Essentially the EULA dictates what can and can't be done with the game of Minecraft. Mojang has proposed some very concerning changes. The EULA now states that is is illegal to sell items in game. You will be forced to accept their new EULA in 1.7.10.

Most of you are probably asking yourself "why does this concern me?". Well, you actually should be concerned. Hosting a server is not free. Severs rely on donations to stay afloat. Mojang wants to end donations to servers. Now, let me clarify, they mean Buycraft and Enjin donations. Donations in which you receive in game perks.

441a.png

The rebound effect of this EULA change will be highly impact the way servers operate as we know them today. Many servers will face closure if these EULA are enforced by Mojang. As you know, Mojang's servers were DDOSed for about 5 hours last night terminating logins, sessions and their website. This DDOS was in response to the EULA changes.

24a8.png

Minecraft as we know it could change forever, help join the fight against Mojang's EULA changes!
Sign the petition!
https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/mojang-change-your-eula

AndreasManU

Zombie Killer
With those news... will more people leave and think Minecraft is boring... This is a big mistake.... It's our own choice that we buy stuff from the webshop etc. So this the most stupid idea from Mojang so farm IMO. I think they might change their minds pretty fast after doing that... Well I hope they does not use this and I hope minecraft will stay as it's now....

~Andy

Wacky

Creeper Hugger
if this goes on, they'll be losing millions of there players. petition signed.

YAMPY

Obsidian Miner
Sign the petition while it lasts! The last one was taken down, we want to let the word out!

LegalSense

Void Walker
I've been waiting for this thread, and I totally agree with how retarded Mojang has become to update their EULA. This has been going on for a long time and they finally decide to notice it and actually take action. How will the servers run if they have no donations? Mojang's basically destroying their own game with this new EULA.

We're basically not allowed to sell any items to anyone if it's theirs. It's like buying OP god gear for real money, you are buying content from the game that Mojang owns but giving that money to the server owner. There have been clutches of server owners saying "I can't run a server without money" and as a result, there are rumors spreading Mojang is doing this because of Realms.

Though, I would have to agree that we are technically violating the EULA, but we're basically keeping minecraft alive. It's been 'a fact' that if you don't offer perks, nobody will donate. It's almost the same with devs. You are allowed to hire programmers to develop content for your servers, but the programmers cannot offer to sell a plugin they have made. Everyone's probably going to be equal if this EULA goes into act.

I have to side with the petition. If Mojang wanted to take this to court they could if they wanted to. Though, Grum is being an prick about this whole thing. I agree with the fact lelddos took mojang down, but I still wanted to play! But if it's to change Mojang's minds about the EULA then so be it.

Again, people shouldn't panick. The people who are screaming and yelling at Mojang are going to provoke them to finalize a decision we don't want. It's better to stay calm and cool let Mojang work it out. Regardless, complaning won't help in our case, but a petition may help spread awareness about this and it will hopefully change their minds.

Again, we shouldn't panick, yet. Mojang hasn't reached a decision and nothing has changed yet. Let's just see how this turns out and hope for the best that the petition will actually help.

*Signs*

iFlezz Gaming

Diamond Miner
What Do we want?! Donation Freedom: So Snapcraft can stay alive! and servers not shutting down! If not I am going to quit minecraft in response to this. (If this happens). Also Minecraft Realms is limited so they just take away the fun.

LegalSense

Void Walker
What Do we want?! Donation Freedom: So Snapcraft can stay alive! and servers not shutting down! If not I am going to quit minecraft in response to this. (If this happens). Also Minecraft Realms is limited so they just take away the fun.
There have been rumors going around they are doing this because of Realms. When honestly, realms is petty stupid. You can host a minecraft server way less than Realms and all realms does is eat away your RAM. Many have responded by making petitions and lelddos did as well by making Mojang go down.

This is a fierce struggle we're all struggling to cope with.

Jephman

Tree Puncher
I am fairly surprised it has lasted as long as it has. This could be easily solved with a profit sharing solution. MoJang should be getting a piece of the revenue stream created from their game. This will only harm servers that don't have the business sense to implement a different business model to the problem.

Nikki3point0

Special Person
441a.png

It is because of this that I'm actually in-between both. Mojang is right. People who have bought Minecraft should not need to pay more money to access its game-features. Therefore, having users, albeit willingly, pay a server for items they 'should' have access to is essentially reselling Mojang's product at no profit to Mojang, which (and don't quote me on this) I believe is illegal considering the items are technically property of Mojang.

And then there's the 'rewards for donations' thing. I know here in America, that definitely counts as tax evasion. I know here on Snapcraft, it's considered buying in-game perks, but noting the previous statement, well, you know.

However, this brings up a good point - how would servers be able to stay alive without donations? If a server - any large-scale server - had to survive purely on donations (with no in-game reward system), the fair majority of servers would end up being shut down because, let's face it, there aren't enough people out there who will donate their money with no reward. And for those that do... it's not enough (generally) to keep a server alive.

This is a tough situation to be in.

OP
OP
hayden51

hayden51

Emerald Miner
441a.png

It is because of this that I'm actually in-between both. Mojang is right. People who have bought Minecraft should not need to pay more money to access its game-features. Therefore, having users, albeit willingly, pay a server for items they 'should' have access to is essentially reselling Mojang's profit at no profit to Mojang, which (and don't quote me on this) I believe is illegal considering the items are technically property of Mojang.

And then there's the 'rewards for donations' thing. I know here in America, that definitely counts as tax evasion. I know here on Snapcraft, it's considered buying in-game perks, but noting the previous statement, well, you know.

However, this brings up a good point - how would servers be able to stay alive without donations? If a server - any large-scale server - had to survive purely on donations (with no in-game reward system), the fair majority of servers would end up being shut down because, let's face it, there aren't enough people out there who will donate their money with no reward. And for those that do... it's not enough (generally) to keep a server alive.

This is a tough situation to be in.
Well said.

McLovin

First Step
Now since this is all happening, instead of donating to servers, just buy a ps3 and play with me @Relic_Phanton

Last edited:

LegalSense

Void Walker
Eh who cares
I'm sure a lot of people would care to see minecraft shut down because of the new EULA.

I do strongly agree with Nikki on this, it is true we are violating the contract but how would servers dwell with out donations? I actually want to hear other statements from other Mojang members and hear what they have to say. They haven't finalized anything or changed anything, yet.

The thing is that Mojang could take this to court. If that does happen, they'd probably win. A lot of parents/owners/players are sending complaints to Mojang for a refund if the new EULA is put into act. Though there are some legal ways to evade the contract, it still wouldn't be the same game play experience.

I agree with the petition strongly but I am slightly in the middle of this. I hate to see people violating the rules and contracts but at the same time I'd hate to see minecraft change and possibly shut down.

This is a big situation...

McLovin

First Step
I'm sure a lot of people would care to see minecraft shut down because of the new EULA.

I do strongly agree with Nikki on this, it is true we are violating the contract but how would servers dwell with out donations? I actually want to hear other statements from other Mojang members and hear what they have to say. They haven't finalized anything or changed anything, yet.

The thing is that Mojang could take this to court. If that does happen, they'd probably win. A lot of parents/owners/players are sending complaints to Mojang for a refund if the new EULA is put into act. Though there are some legal ways to evade the contract, it still wouldn't be the same game play experience.

I agree with the petition strongly but I am slightly in the middle of this. I hate to see people violating the rules and contracts but at the same time I'd hate to see minecraft change and possibly shut down.

This is a big situation...
lol they're not going to shut down a multi million dollar company/ game plus at this point why should they even care what you say, you all bought the game already so they already have your money. Plus they'ne not reatarted to post petitions because they know little 10 year olds would make several accounts and vote to keep the server how they are now

OP
OP
hayden51

hayden51

Emerald Miner
lol they're not going to shut down a multi million dollar company/ game plus at this point why should they even care what you say, you all bought the game already so they already have your money. Plus they'ne not reatarted to post petitions because they know little 10 year olds would make several accounts and vote to keep the server how they are now
Stay off this post please. Issued 2 warnings for abuse of the rating system and irrelevant post.

LegalSense

Void Walker
Why exactly? Me and trial are having a debate on what we think about the situation. Don't see anything bad happening here.
Eh what? I never wanted to debate, I was only agreeing to what Nikki said. You made an irrelevant post about COD and started calling everyone who owns this game 10-year old which is pretty much insulting seeing that you have the game as well. If you're so interested in COD then why not go play it rather than trying to start a debate on the forums?