Got Any Sayings?

iamontda

Void Walker
Yadda yadda yadda, Supernatural, yadda yadda, season 3, more yaddas, typing is frustrating on my phone because somehow the site makes mobiles lag or something, yadda yadda.

So the next episode of Supernatural that I have to watch is called "Red Sky at Morning". Of course, it was instead cut off and said this:
isTYp3w.jpg

"Red Sky at Mor".

Now, me being born Coast Guard, raised Coast Guard (and by a boatswain's mate no less), I knew the saying very well without even the full word: "Red sky at night, sailor's delight, red sky at morning, sailors take warning." Red sky being the literal red clouds you see (sediments and things) from the sun rising or setting. Basically get ready for a storm at morning light if there's red.

Another and more recent saying is mainly from my dad. Being a boatswain's mate, he simply drives boats (not sure about cutters like the Munro that he's on right now, but I've seen him drive some of the ~100 foot vessels before), and he knows all of the laws. My papa, dad's dad, came out to Kodiak during halibut season, so the three of us went fishing in one of the rentable WMR boats even though I didn't touch the pole much.

Anyways, my dad taught me a few good tricks about boat driving, such as this sticky saying: "Red right return." It means that you need to keep the red buoy to your right when returning back to home port (or basically any dock), and vice versa for the green buoy on your way out.

This made me wonder though, what sayings have you guys learnt over the years? Any good stories to go along with them?

Epicme772

Obsidian Miner
One of the sayings that has helped me through life:

"Eat food sometimes, and don't forget to breathe oxygen."

(yes yes, courtesy of tobuscus)