Declined ️‍ Pronoun system!

Status
Not open for further replies.

flleeppyy

First Step
Adding a pronoun system would be a great addition to the (Minecraft, not Discord) server because it would help other players get to know each other better, and would make us LGBT people happy c:
Nowadays a lot of people assume players go by he/him, which is not the case.

An example of how this could be implemented is having a command to set your pronouns.
I could have gone a step further and made a mock command demonstration video but I'm too tired for that at the moment.
PHP:
# Set your pronouns
/pronouns set she/her
/pronouns set she/her/they

# Bring up a menu with preset pronouns, such as
# - she/her
# - he/him
# - they/them
# - any
# with item dyes representing the pronouns, colors unrelated.
# And maybe a menu for neo-pronouns
/pronouns set

# Gets the pronouns of a user
/pronouns flleeppyy

I would not suggest letting the user set completely custom pronouns, because some people will want to be trolls and do stuff like "apache/attack/helicopter" and other LGBT-phobic nonsense. (Developers: You could use a regular expression for this, but that would be a very long string of different pronouns, so, not really recommended)

Usual pronoun descriptions go like this
  • he/him
  • any
  • they/him
  • she/her/they/them
  • he/him/xe/xir/any
  • they/them/fae/faer
  • etc, etc

The pronouns probably wouldn't be directly in their prefix, but in the hover box when you hover over the user's display name.
You could put the pronouns in their prefix but some pronoun descriptions may be long-ish. Perhaps setting a limit for how long the pronouns can be before they get cut off or remove from the users prefix.

I initially started this idea in the Discord server, and got a bit of feedback such as
- "Lgbt tags pack?"/Paying for tags for pronouns
- The already existing sir/miss tags.

I highly would not recommend making pronouns into tags, or a paid option, as that would cause some anger such as "I can freely put my pronouns in my bio on Twitter/Discord/Insert platform here, but I have to pay to give myself pronouns?"
The sir/miss tags are nice, but its a paid option, and not everyone is a sir/miss.

I hope you can see the need for a pronoun system of some kind for this server, and maybe be one of the first popular minecraft servers to support pronouns :3

Much love,
Chen

Last edited:

WolfMoonYT

Obsidian Miner
Hi,
I get what you mean here, but I personally don't think a pronoun bot is needed. My main reason for this is that you could simply put your pronouns in your nickname. I hope I don't come across as LGBTQ-phobic, I just personally think that a change like this isn't warranted simply due to the fact that discord allows you to have customizable nicknames. With that being said though, I'm not opposed to it. It's a good idea, I just don't think its necessary. I'm happy to discuss this further if you'd like though :-P

OP
OP
flleeppyy

flleeppyy

First Step
Hi,
I get what you mean here, but I personally don't think a pronoun bot is needed. My main reason for this is that you could simply put your pronouns in your nickname. I hope I don't come across as LGBTQ-phobic, I just personally think that a change like this isn't warranted simply due to the fact that discord allows you to have customizable nicknames. With that being said though, I'm not opposed to it. It's a good idea, I just don't think its necessary. I'm happy to discuss this further if you'd like though :-P
I uh, should have specified this is a suggestion for the minecraft server
aaaaaa

A pronoun bot for the discord server definitely doesn't seem that neccessary, as people can just look at your bio or your nickname

Asheey

Mod
Staff member
Mod
I get that pronounce stuff are important for some people but it’s not exactly needed like wolf said above. You have 3 ways of already informing people of your preferred pronounce and that’s via status, about me section on your profile and your ID/nickname. O:)

WolfMoonYT

Obsidian Miner
I uh, should have specified this is a suggestion for the minecraft server
aaaaaa

A pronoun bot for the discord server definitely doesn't seem that neccessary, as people can just look at your bio or your nickname
oh my I'm sorry I completely misinterpreted what you meant!

OP
OP
flleeppyy

flleeppyy

First Step
I get that pronounce stuff are important for some people but it’s not exactly needed like wolf said above. You have 3 ways of already informing people of your preferred pronounce and that’s via status, about me section on your profile and your ID/nickname. O:)
I didn't clearly mention that this suggestion was for the minecraft server, so, aaaaa. i just edited it

Asheey

Mod
Staff member
Mod
I didn't clearly mention that this suggestion was for the minecraft server, so, aaaaa. i just edited it
If people mispronounce you, you can inform them what your pronounce are if that’s a big worry of yours. I’m personally not one that cares much about it so I’m not seeing a big use in adding a plug-in or tags for such. There’s a miss and sir tag you can buy already but I know there’s more pronounce than that but adding endless of pronounce tags wouldn’t exactly work and people would mess around with the plugin cause that’s what they do and ruins the whole concept of it. This is ofc my own opinion and I 100% respect and understand you :)

Warrior356

Mod
Staff member
Mod
-1 Hey, I don't mind the LGBTQ community or anything but I don't agree with this as a minecraft server such as this we log on to disconnect from life to be a littile 'Unknown' not come on and have the same arguements which we are facing in real life. If you feel like you should let people know what you want to be 'labeled' especially on the forums you can just have a signature stating that.

Curry101

Tree Puncher
My biggest concern with implementing something as such in a minecraft server would be the negative feedback for the people willing to input their own pronouns. There can be a high level of immaturity in certain scenarios - especially on a minecraft server - and I would think these things might lead to cases of preventable cyber bullying. Like a lot of people mentioned above, I don't think this a bad idea by any means, but I do believe there are a greater number of risks than benefits by implementing it.

I hope everyone can feel welcomed to the community, but this is simply my two-cents on the matter.

Asheey

Mod
Staff member
Mod
My biggest concern with implementing something as such in a minecraft server would be the negative feedback for the people willing to input their own pronouns. There can be a high level of immaturity in certain scenarios - especially on a minecraft server - and I would think these things might lead to cases of preventable cyber bullying. Like a lot of people mentioned above, I don't think this a bad idea by any means, but I do believe there are a greater number of risks than benefits by implementing it.

I hope everyone can feel welcomed to the community, but this is simply my two-cents on the matter.
I agree, and adding onto this, theres 100s of different pronouce that people may use and new ones gets created daily so if something like this were to be added then they'd have to include it all or people will get offended and its not very reasonable per say.

Guarde

Admin
Staff member
Admin
I support the idea of creating inclusivity on our server in this regard, however, I have to agree with Melon and OkieDokie's points. Adding a pronouns plugin does not seem necessary and may create excessive unwanted negativity.
Alternatively, as there already are Miss/Sir tags on the server, a third option to represent non-binary people could be added.
I am not particularly on par with all the correct terms, but after a quick Google search I found "Mx", to name an example.

iDell

Iron Miner

I don't want to sound like a broken record repeating what other people have already said on this thread but they do bring up valid points. The idea of inclusivity and expression of all people would usually be a brilliant idea and encourage a more diverse environment for players, however in this case I can see it easily being abused and being used as a method of offending people.
The idea is lovely but I don't think adding a plugin would be necessary.

Ex_Admin

Obsidian Miner
I disagree with this suggestion. I fully understand the intention behind it and why some may enjoy or appreciate it. However, similar to what everyone else is stating, this is a minecraft server and I do not feel this is a priority to implement. Unfortunately, there is also the feedback players will receive where there is a whole other level of toxicity to look out for when this topic comes along. I feel it is best to avoid the situation and players are free to inform/correct others on their pronouns.

I hope this doesn’t come along as harmful or disrespectful, I and others respect who you are but unfortunately this may not be the best or most necessary thing to implement into a Minecraft server. Due to this and the feedback received on this suggestion, I will be denying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.