Accepted Crate Key Probabilities

Snuggles_

First Step
Hey everyone, so I joined the Sky Block server a few days ago, and I feel that there could be some improvements. However, one thing that really stood out was the crate key system, which I believe is flawed and misleading.

As you may know, the items within the crates will have a certain probability of being selected, so if you see a 5% chance of winning a spawner, that means that you have a 5/100 chance of winning the said item. For this to be true though, that means that the sum of every item within that specific crate must equal 100, which unfortunately is not the case.

The legendary crate, for example, has a total sum of 203, instead of 100. Therefore, if something says that there is a 5% chance of winning it in that crate, it’s really closer to 2.5%. I hope that you can see that this is extremely misleading.

One staff member explained that this allows for a greater difference of probability between some items, so some can be 10% and others can be 2% for example. That difference is still possible if you have the sum of every item’s probability equal to 100 though, as some probabilities could be 2.5% or so on. Probabilities lower than 1% can and do exist.

Furthermore, I was told by other players that I am not the first individual to raise concerns about this system, though I can not confirm this for sure. Still, nothing has been done about this so it seems somewhat likely that this issue has been known and ignored.

At best, I believe this is a flawed system, and at worst, it is a dishonest representation of potential rewards. This is especially unethical considering that players are often encouraged to buy these crate keys with real money, all under the guise that the probabilities are true. I myself was considering getting a few Legendary Crate Keys to try and win an Iron Golem spawner because I figured that 5% wasn’t that bad of a probability. I was wrong though because the true probability is half of that. I apologize if this offends anyone, but since real money is involved with this system, it feels like a scam and makes me question the ethics of this server.

If any staff members could offer any insight on this, I would greatly appreciate it.

trevlac

Tree Puncher
+1
5% means 1 in 20, so i should get an average of 3 legendary keys for every stack of vote keys i open, when in reality i'm lucky to get 1 legendary key in 2 or 3 stacks. Why not be transparent and tell us the actual odds?

Honey0737

Obsidian Miner
5% means 1 in 20, so i should get an average of 3 legendary keys for every stack of vote keys i open, when in reality i'm lucky to get 1 legendary key in 2 or 3 stacks. Why not be transparent and tell us the actual odds?
Fair point :)

OP
OP
S

Snuggles_

First Step
Hey everyone, I just wanted to give a quick update. I reached out to Maarten and he informed me that while they are aware of this issue, it would take a math genius to solve this and they are focusing on other "big" updates right now.

Ex_Admin

Obsidian Miner
This will be looked at, thank you for bringing it to our attention :)