Added All Unban / All Unmute

Should There Be An All Unban / All Unmute?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

paac

Stone Miner
Hi,

Before i begin with any type of reasoning as to why this should happen, i'm aware the chances of this happening are near impossible. I just want to list some reasons why an all unban and/or and all unmute would be good for snapcraft as a whole. I will also refer to the downsides of this, and possible help people to see a positive side to doing an all unban and unmute.

Reasons for an all unban:
I started playing Snapcraft in late 2018, and i have seen the loyal player base Snapcraft inhibits, and the type of community Snapcraft is. When i started, there was around 130 players on factions, alone. Now there are around 30 - 70 players, and i think one main reason for this is because of the amount of players banned. The last all unban was years ago, and i think another one should be at least considered in helping the server grow, and potentially propelling the numbers back up to where they used to be. I just want to make this very clear - I understand a lot of these bans are very justified, but a lot of these bans can afford to be forgiven. Most of these bans are from people who used to hack, but i think these people should be given another chance. Furthermore, im also aware that appeals are always an option, but a lot of people who play Minecraft often look for servers to play on, and if they see they are banned on Snapcraft, while looking for something to do, they are more likely to move on to the next server rather than right an appeal for Snapcraft which they used to play years ago. I think hundreds of loyal players have been banned since the last all unban, and i want to emphasise that i am aware some of these bans are justified completely, but like i said, it would be nice to see a percentage of these loyal players coming back to Snapcraft, and re-engage with the server especially during times like quarantine where many people are looking for enjoyable games/servers to play. This could be a really good time for people to engage in Snapcraft, and experience it's active player base once again.
Arguement's against an all unban:
- Lot's of people were banned for justified reasons (not just hacking) : I am aware of this, but people who used to act in a certain way may deserve another chance, and if they continue to act in an undesirable way, staff can look into their actions and come to a conclusion whether to re-ban them.

Reasons for an all unmute:
My points for an all unmute may be controversial and may seem bias, as i am muted myself. However, i want to make this clear that i am not trying to be biased in any way shape of form, i just want people to understand the potential reasoning for an all unmute.
Through my own experience, i haven't had many mutable offences over the time i've played on Snapcraft. Recently a rule was changed in which you are permanently muted for 3+ mutable offences. I agree with this rule, 3 strikes and you're out. I understand why this rule was put in place, however, a lot of people were, and still are completely unaware of this change, and may contribute to their lack of carefulness in relation to what they say in the public chats. I wasn't aware that if you had a third offence you would be permanently muted. I understand that 'rules are rules' or 'dont break the rules' but how can we break the rules if we wasn't aware of them in the first place? With a massive change like this, an all unmute should be mandatory in my opinion, as a lot of players are muted because of this rule change.
Furthermore, mutable offences are everlasting meaning they never expire. For example, some of my first 2 mutable offences were from around 8 months ago or more, and i didn't do any other mutable offences until this month. I wasn't aware of this, and in my opinion they should expire over time if the player has been continuously positive in the public chat.
Lastly, it is extremely hard to get unmuted once permanently muted; yes you can appeal a mute, but many people quit the server when they are permanently muted as it limits the amount of accessibility you have in terms of the server: things like the auction house, communication with faction mates etc. This doesn't just apply to factions only, this is server wide aswell.

Overall, i just hope this forums post isn't overlooked. I want people to understand the positive connotations when reading this post, rather than thinking of all the negative things. Please consider this, and try to stay un-biased when reading this. I really hope this happens, and i think it could have some great potential if it took place!

- Make sure to vote in the poll above so your opinion is heard, and leave a comment saying what you think about this forums post!

- Paac

P2B4

Tree Puncher
I agree with this completely, like all of the points genuinely make sense lol. atlas 40% of factions is muted and I think it's important that everyone gets another chance to prove they are able to behave.

Ztrox

Stone Miner
I agree, no economy when half server is muted.
also could revive the server and make it more active.

SnipesGGs

Banned
I think this would be good for the factions part of snapcraft because most of the factions players are muted and might/will revive that part if snapcraft. Overall this is a amazing idea in my opinion.

Asheey

Mod
Staff member
Mod
Just no.

OP
OP
paac

paac

Stone Miner

Deadly_k1tten

Stone Miner
Staff member
Helper
To defend ashy here...

With mutes, you get 2 chances before your perm muted, you are given those 2 warnings. Where I am all for giving people a chance, after 2 warnings... You would think you would have learned.

With the bans, some players are there soley to try and get themselves banned. What is there to stop the hackers coming back once they realise they are unbanned? It ruins the game for you guys trying to play legitimately. Which is why we have the appeal system in place.

Asheey

Mod
Staff member
Mod
but why though :/
Cause if someone end up being perm muted or banned, it is cause they broke rules over and over again which means they deserve the punishment served. They can appeal their punishment if that really want but unbanning for no reason wont happen.

AndreasManU

Zombie Killer
To defend ashy here...

With mutes, you get 2 chances before your perm muted, you are given those 2 warnings. Where I am all for giving people a chance, after 2 warnings... You would think you would have learned.

With the bans, some players are there soley to try and get themselves banned. What is there to stop the hackers coming back once they realise they are unbanned? It ruins the game for you guys trying to play legitimately. Which is why we have the appeal system in place.

Let her reply herself. K thx

Jxst

Tree Puncher
To defend ashy here...

But if they come back just to hack they will get banned again

Deadly_k1tten

Stone Miner
Staff member
Helper
Then... the point of unbanning them was...?

OP
OP
paac

paac

Stone Miner
To defend ashy here...

my point is though, is that some of these warnings are from months/years ago. it's not fair to consider these as offences (in my opinion) as people change overtime, and these offences should expire over a given period of time. i also understand why ashy feels this way, but think about what it would do for the server.
- It would have a more active loyal playerbase
- Many 'OG's' will come back, who, again, are loyal players
- The community want this to happen (as shown in the votes)
- There will be more competition on servers such as factions; more bases, factions etc.

Reeive

Zombie Killer
To defend ashy here...

No. You're wrong, ban purges have happened in the past and 9/10 times the people who actually wanted to play after realizing they have been unbanned will NOT cause trouble again. With regards to the 'hackers' their sole purpose is to get banned and move on to the next server, they dont care thats the damn point. Not to mention, you guys have a blacklist for players you want to keep banned anyways.

Ex_Admin

Obsidian Miner
I like the thought of these both, but it would obviously take time to figure out who would need to stay permanently banned and permanently muted even after this. As far as I am aware, this hasn't happened since 2013/14 so there have been thousands of perm mutes and perm bans since then so this would be a lot of looking into to make sure there aren't some possibly wrong people unbanned/unmuted. I think if this were to happen as well that some changes need to be made within rules and how staff deal with punishments. Without any of that changing, tons of people can easily end up muted again making this just repeat itself. I think stating the punishment for all offenses within rules would be helpful to allow players to hopefully avoid some actions when they're more aware of the consequences. Overall, I like this and It would maybe be a good thing for the servers playercount because not everyone will repeat their offenses. The staff team would have to look more into hackers because obviously there would be a lot of those which is a bad thing but it seems there are more pros to this than cons if this were to happen. If this were to happen, which I doubt maarten would do this, those who are unbanned I think should be perm banned if they're caught breaking rules again instantly.

OP
OP
paac

paac

Stone Miner
Cause if someone end up being perm muted or banned, it is cause they broke rules over and over again which means they deserve the punishment served. They can appeal their punishment if that really want but unbanning for no reason wont happen.
I understand this, but let's pretend i played in 2017. I played minecraft again in 2020 and i was looking for a server to play. Let's say im legit now (in 2020) but hacked in 2017, and then i decided to click on snapcraft but then see that i am banned. Im more likely to just skip onto the next server, and leave snapcraft in the dust. The community want more activity, more people to play alongside. A strong percentage of players who USED TO hack, do not hack anymore. And staff could be extra careful watching unbanned players. Overall, it gives EVERYONE more things to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.