Added All Unban / All Unmute

Should There Be An All Unban / All Unmute?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maarten

Ghast Hunter
I dont think 1000$ unbans is going to stop people from being Toxic in general
That is never a serious price. The problem is that some players that have had over 10 chances still request a price even after I tell them no multiple times at which point I just give out an absurd amount I know won't be paid. They generally take this time to reflect on their extensive history and sometimes they make an amazing appeal which will get them unbanned.

IamTox1c

Tree Puncher
That is never a serious price. The problem is that some players that have had over 10 chances still request a price even after I tell them no multiple times at which point I just give out an absurd amount I know won't be paid. They generally take this time to reflect on their extensive history and sometimes they make an amazing appeal which will get them unbanned.
You deserved my respect. As you know my appeal have been denied, no matter how serious I was about it, it keeps getting denied, and then i hear from other players that legit typed 1 absolutely zero sense making sentence, they get accepted xD? How does that work? Just curious what explanation is behind the word 'appeal'. Thank you for reading this once again, I hope i get an explanation.

VoltzBlue

First Step
To be completely honest i agree to an extent but there are some players who i'm glad are banned [not gonna name]. I do believe the server is dying which is why i barley play anymore as i find it not fun and boring. I do wish we would make more action to get the server alive again ,because pretty soon no one will be playing and we would have moved to other servers. Something else i find annoying is that toxicity isn't welcomed on kitpvp which i find kinda stupid as its built of toxicity and being competitive. Anyway hope this gets some points across i won't be as active as my broken wrist gives me a disadvantage when pvping much love people.
-Zekea

IamTox1c

Tree Puncher
To be completely honest i agree to an extent but there are some players who i'm glad are banned [not gonna name]. I do believe the server is dying which is why i barley play anymore as i find it not fun and boring. I do wish we would make more action to get the server alive again ,because pretty soon no one will be playing and we would have moved to other servers. Something else i find annoying is that toxicity isn't welcomed on kitpvp which i find kinda stupid as its built of toxicity and being competitive. Anyway hope this gets some points across i won't be as active as my broken wrist gives me a disadvantage when pvping much love people.
-Zekea
Toxicity? simple command -> /ignore
Oh sike you get /mute instead!

Maarten

Ghast Hunter
You deserved my respect. As you know my appeal have been denied, no matter how serious I was about it, it keeps getting denied, and then i hear from other players that legit typed 1 absolutely zero sense making sentence, they get accepted xD? How does that work? Just curious what explanation is behind the word 'appeal'. Thank you for reading this once again, I hope i get an explanation.
I would have to look at the specific appeals to comment on this. However, as have said above we base our judgment not only on the appeal but also on the history of the player and the severity of the offense. I cannot remember your appeals(I do remember seeing them). But like you stated yourself you see no reason to return to Snapcraft which is a shame and if you do decide to change your mind you're more than welcome to appeal and I will look at it again.

Toxicity? simple command -> /ignore
Oh sike you get /mute instead!
I would personally like to be able to let players "trash talk" each other slightly(Factions & Kit PvP), but the problem for us is where do we draw the line? At what point is it not "friendly banter" and straight-up toxicity? And what about the younger players to whom some of the things said are not appropriate, we can't shield them from it if we allow it? Or would allow it purely over /msg? We are always open to suggestions and possible changes to the rules and even how we handle things.

OP
OP
paac

paac

Stone Miner
After reading through this post and its comments I would like to clarify some things because I see a lot of things that are not entirely correct or just wrong. I personally do not see any good reason to clear the ban and mute list;
  • Certain bans should remain at all costs; Chargeback, DDoSing, Doxing, Blacklist bans, and more.
  • As of right now there is no viable way to only unban certain players with a database containing over 100.000 active bans and 80.000 active mutes.
  • The claims that it will 'revive' the server and or make players come back are just not true(We cleared our bans and mutes twice before, actually brought back a lot of the hackers and other toxic players which hurt the community more)
  • Anyone is able to appeal their ban and mute and it will be considered based on the history of the player(I see some people saying most appeals get denied, this is completely false most appeals get accepted but for the repeat offenders we do generally require a unban or unmute to be purchased as we hope this makes them more careful as they have invested something.)
  • You also state that people that see that they're banned when searching will not appeal, I can see this being the case sometimes, however, we see a lot of appeals being made especially by those players and they are generally accepted right away as they have been banned/muted for so long
  • Unbanning/unmuting players won't necessarily make them return
I would also like to add that previously player counts were inflated to receive more advertisements for the /rewards system which made it look as if there were more players when in reality the server is no less popular than before.

I would also like to add that whilst we made a change to how we handle our mute duration this is no excuse to break the rules; the rules regarding being toxic did not change what so ever so please do not use that as an excuse. I do see your point with your history longstanding but if you mention this in your appeal and the information gave is correct and matches our database, we will most likely lower your mute or unmute you completely.

Lastly, I would like to request that everyone uses the forums positively, I see a lot of 'fighting' in the comments which is counterproductive. You are always welcome to give your opinion but try to be constructive in your criticism.

Hey Maarten,

- First and foremost i agree that certain bans should remain as dangerous people, as you have stated above, should not have another chance on the server and serve as a risk for the player base already on snapcraft.
- Secondly, i feel as if this process shouldn't just be completed in a single day. The process of unbanning players is obviously going to be quite time consuming given the tens of thousands of bans and mutes each year, which is why there should be extra precision and a long time span in order to get this change underway. There are also ways of filtering different bans from others by specific word searching etc. Overall, take your time with this process if you ever decide to do it.
- Thirdly, we are not saying that it will 'revive' the server, i believe it will bring a few more active players onto the server and bring some extra competition as time goes on. Especially during the current worldwide pandemic, where people are looking for things to do, people are looking for a server to play, and they may reminisce on some of the great times they had on snapcraft, and potentially want to revisit, which brings me onto my next point:
- Your point on 'appealing bans/mutes' is great, and as a community we are aware of this, but as some other replies state, some people are actually required to buy unmutes and unbans and there appeals are always declined. I think people, as stated in my previous point, will not appeal onto a server they played 4 years ago, and will simply move onto the next server on their server list.
- Unbanning players and unmuting them isn't necessary in making them return. You're right, but the chance of players joining the server increases. The servers player base will increase if this change happens, there is no denying that. People overtime will see that they are no longer banned, and decide to play Snapcraft once again.

Overall, as i said, please consider this thread greatly. A lot of the community want to see this happen, and i believe it should take place for the reasons i stated in the initial thread, and in my response to you, here. It will obvcourse be a timely process, i understand that it will be a case of filtering through thousands of bans and mutes, but in my opinion it is extremely worth it, and will make the server more active, and more fun due to a larger playerbase and greater competition.

- Paac

kcin2

Iron Miner
After reading through this post and its comments I would like to clarify some things because I see a lot of things that are not entirely correct or just wrong. I personally do not see any good reason to clear the ban and mute list;
  • Certain bans should remain at all costs; Chargeback, DDoSing, Doxing, Blacklist bans, and more.
  • As of right now there is no viable way to only unban certain players with a database containing over 100.000 active bans and 80.000 active mutes.
  • The claims that it will 'revive' the server and or make players come back are just not true(We cleared our bans and mutes twice before, actually brought back a lot of the hackers and other toxic players which hurt the community more)
  • Anyone is able to appeal their ban and mute and it will be considered based on the history of the player(I see some people saying most appeals get denied, this is completely false most appeals get accepted but for the repeat offenders we do generally require a unban or unmute to be purchased as we hope this makes them more careful as they have invested something.)
  • You also state that people that see that they're banned when searching will not appeal, I can see this being the case sometimes, however, we see a lot of appeals being made especially by those players and they are generally accepted right away as they have been banned/muted for so long
  • Unbanning/unmuting players won't necessarily make them return
I would also like to add that previously player counts were inflated to receive more advertisements for the /rewards system which made it look as if there were more players when in reality the server is no less popular than before.

I would also like to add that whilst we made a change to how we handle our mute duration this is no excuse to break the rules; the rules regarding being toxic did not change what so ever so please do not use that as an excuse. I do see your point with your history longstanding but if you mention this in your appeal and the information gave is correct and matches our database, we will most likely lower your mute or unmute you completely.

Lastly, I would like to request that everyone uses the forums positively, I see a lot of 'fighting' in the comments which is counterproductive. You are always welcome to give your opinion but try to be constructive in your criticism.

Edit: Much like what alot of what Paac posted whilst I wrote this

Point 1. Absolutely.

2. Wouldn't be too hard to make/find and use simple scripts to run through everything and remove any bans/mutes that are for reasons such as Chargebacks DDoSing etc. Keeping in mind this doesn't have some kind of deadline to happen so taking time to actually find/create a good method of doing so wouldn't need to be rushed, and therefore wouldn't necessarily take priority over any other work.

3. Yes and no. No matter what you do there will definitely be a decent amount of toxic people that come back. However going harder with punishments on said users would counteract a lot of the potential future punishments for said players. No doubt, in some ways it will hurt the community. But I'd say the pros outweigh the cons with all this. Within say, for example the first month or so of their playtime, give the unbanned/unmuted users permanent punishments that they would need to appeal. Overall, you'd end up with more players, And a more active ingame experience without half of factions and (not as bad on kit) kitpvp muted. Ending in the ah being relatively unused on factions.

4. Yes, everyone is able to appeal. Doesn't mean people are going to bother going out of their way to appeal instead of going to another server. I personally hate using the forums. Just a hassle if you forget your password and don't have it saved with a manager, or in your browser, etc. People coming back after years are more than likely not to have it saved, may not even use the same email as before nevermind remember it, etc, so then they're stuck with making a new account. Majority of people wouldn't bother going through the process.

5. You've already acknowledged this one :thumbsup:

6. True, it won't necessarily make them come back. But there's a chance it will. And more than just a chance for the rather large number of people who still play mc, and are still in active contact with people who play snap, still in snap related discord servers, or play on other servers with people who also play snap. Most if not all of the relevant snap/mc related discord servers I'm in have had this thread linked at least once today. Hell, look at the view count on this, nearly 1.3k - Keep in mind the newest update log has about 1k views. This thread has a couple hundred more in just over 7 hours, vs over 2 months since the update log. I'd assume the majority of active snap players read the update log. I'd be willing to bet a decent amount of these people are banned and/or muted.

IamTox1c

Tree Puncher
I would have to look at the specific appeals to comment on this. However, as have said above we base our judgment not only on the appeal but also on the history of the player and the severity of the offense. I cannot remember your appeals(I do remember seeing them). But like you stated yourself you see no reason to return to Snapcraft which is a shame and if you do decide to change your mind you're more than welcome to appeal and I will look at it again.

I would personally like to be able to let players "trash talk" each other slightly(Factions & Kit PvP), but the problem for us is where do we draw the line? At what point is it not "friendly banter" and straight-up toxicity? And what about the younger players to whom some of the things said are not appropriate, we can't shield them from it if we allow it? Or would allow it purely over /msg? We are always open to suggestions and possible changes to the rules and even how we handle things.
Thanks for your offer to give me a chance to appeal, but im not going to re-type and edit the same sentences for a game that i lost my interests after trying so hard to get back that energy I started losing (Making appeals so i could get unmuted and try to make me enjoy ur server by being able to talk to people). But now its to long ago for me to care, im sorry.

PigMaster4000

Stone Miner
I feel like an all unban would cause more problems than it would solve. Maybe you could make a 7d period in which all appeals are accepted (minus a few extreme cases).

An all unmute on the other hand, sounds fantastic, as the chat already has a filter so worse case scenario some dude doxxes someone, which is highly unlikely. (keep spam bots permed).

Let me know what you all think.

WolfMoonYT

Obsidian Miner
After careful consideration, we have decided to allow muted players the following commands /ah sell, /guild create, /gang create and lastly, /f create. We feel that everyone should be able to use those commands, however, using any of the above to bypass the mute will still end in a ban.
Although i have never been muted and never will be, it's nice to know that you hear peoples feedback and suggestions out, and make changes if you feel they are needed. Snap couldn't have had a better owner :-D

kcin2

Iron Miner
I feel like an all unban would cause more problems than it would solve. Maybe you could make a 7d period in which all appeals are accepted (minus a few extreme cases).

I think this would be one of the best ways to go about doing something like this. Rules out anyone who doesn't care enough to appeal - meaning they don't care about the server and would be more likely to come back and just hack/be toxic etc, but still lets people who don't want to bother going through the appeal process just to get denied. Yes, they wouldn't necessarily get denied but the player may feel that they will so they won't bother going through with an appeal.
And obviously like he said here, still exclude extreme cases - and also probably very recent bans/mutes.

Keep in mind that doing it in this manner would eliminate the dilemma of sorting through tens of thousands of cases, as they would be done in the normal way, just with a higher probability of an unban/unmute.

OP
OP
paac

paac

Stone Miner
I think this would be one of the best ways to go about doing something like this. Rules out anyone who doesn't care enough to appeal - meaning they don't care about the server and would be more likely to come back and just hack/be toxic etc, but still lets people who don't want to bother going through the appeal process just to get denied. Yes, they wouldn't necessarily get denied but the player may feel that they will so they won't bother going through with an appeal.
And obviously like he said here, still exclude extreme cases - and also probably very recent bans/mutes.

Keep in mind that doing it in this manner would eliminate the dilemma of sorting through tens of thousands of cases, as they would be done in the normal way, just with a higher probability of an unban/unmute.
In my opinion, and all unban is more beneficial for the server: like you said there will be hackers etc, but the staff team do a good job at keeping an eye on hackers, and im sure most of them will be banned within the first few hours/days of them being online. Furthermore, i think that you could say 7 days of appeals being accepted would be a good way to go about it, but the problem lies in the scenarios: you're thinking to narrow, and only about one thing in particular which is people who actively check snapcraft to see if they're banned. What about the other scenarios: eg. someone was banned 4 years ago, they decide to come back to snap but see they are banned. They're aren't going to write an appeal, and it doesn't mean they dont care about the server, it just means they want to play something right in that moment, but having to write an appeal for something 4 years ago isn't an easy task and is just quite dumb.
People are looking for things to do, more now than ever since quarantine is a thing for most countries, which is why an all unban will have more benefits than cons in the long run

kcin2

Iron Miner
In my opinion, and all unban is more beneficial for the server: like you said there will be hackers etc, but the staff team do a good job at keeping an eye on hackers, and im sure most of them will be banned within the first few hours/days of them being online. Furthermore, i think that you could say 7 days of appeals being accepted would be a good way to go about it, but the problem lies in the scenarios: you're thinking to narrow, and only about one thing in particular which is people who actively check snapcraft to see if they're banned. What about the other scenarios: eg. someone was banned 4 years ago, they decide to come back to snap but see they are banned. They're aren't going to write an appeal, and it doesn't mean they dont care about the server, it just means they want to play something right in that moment, but having to write an appeal for something 4 years ago isn't an easy task and is just quite dumb.
People are looking for things to do, more now than ever since quarantine is a thing for most countries, which is why an all unban will have more benefits than cons in the long run

Absolutely agree. I was thinking all that for a short term kinda thing. Still go ahead and do the unban/unmute alls later when the methods to do so are finalized

Phex

Tree Puncher
Cause if someone end up being perm muted or banned, it is cause they broke rules over and over again which means they deserve the punishment served. They can appeal their punishment if that really want but unbanning for no reason wont happen.
Ok but from a buisness standpoint, is banning someone from your server permanently really worth it...? Maarten literally made like over 2 grand from wiping factions in the first like week. 3 month bans are literally as much as it needs to be. Like, if someone fr gets banned for xray like why remove them from ur server permanently. Is it really worth it? Player counts on factions are literally like 3-5 no exaggeration.

PigMaster4000

Stone Miner
Ok but from a buisness standpoint, is banning someone from your server permanently really worth it...? Maarten literally made like over 2 grand from wiping factions in the first like week. 3 month bans are literally as much as it needs to be. Like, if someone fr gets banned for xray like why remove them from ur server permanently. Is it really worth it? Player counts on factions are literally like 3-5 no exaggeration.

Nice. I’m down for some anarchy factions lmao.

Wacky

Creeper Hugger
You've also got to bare in mind if someone is getting banned permanently from the server that means that they are repeat offenders, it's not a permanent ban for a first offense with regards to hacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.